Assistant Professor of Middle Grades Education
Winthrop University, Bachelor of Science in Middle Level Education
University Of Nebraska Kearney, Master of Science in Math and Science Education
Gardner-Webb University, Doctorate of Education in Curriculum and Instruction
Curriculum and Instruction
Middle Grades Education
Family and Community Involvement in Education
Jessica VanValkenburgh started her career in education in 2008 as a middle school
science teacher. During her time in K-12 education, she taught science and served
in many leadership roles including department chair, team leader, grade level leader,
and a district lead teacher within her content. In 2017, Jessica became an Adjunct
Instructor at Winthrop University and she joined Columbus State University in 2020.
Jessica’s most recent research has focused on parent and family involvement in education. Specifically, Jessica explored the stakeholder perceptions of parent/family involvement at specific sites in order to create plans for continuous improvement of family involvement practices.
- VanValkenburgh, J. (2020, October 23). Parent and teacher perceptions of parent involvement: Are teachers are parents on the same page? Association for Middle Level Education Annual Conference: Virtual Conference.
- VanValkenburgh, J. (2020, October). COVID-19 and Schools. Innovation in Teaching Virtual Conference: Athens, GA.
- VanValkenburgh, J. (2020, September). Special Education and Parent Involvement. ECE 380 Collaboration and Communication with Stakeholders: Gardner-Webb University: Boiling Springs, NC. *Invited Speaker
- VanValkenburgh, J. (2020, July). Family Involvement in Schools: How to Get Involved and Stay Involved. Moms Against Racism Monthly Meeting: Rock Hill, SC. *Invited Speaker
- VanValkenburgh, J. (2020, July). After the Ed. D: Applying for Higher Education Positions. Post-Graduate Discussion Panel at Gardner-Webb University: Boiling Springs, NC. *Invited Speaker
- VanValkenburgh, J. (2020, February). Special Education and Parent Involvement. ECE 380 Collaboration and Communication with Stakeholders: Gardner-Webb University: Boiling Springs, NC. *Invited Speaker
- Butler, C., Collins, C., & VanValkenburgh, J. (2019, July). Stepping Stones for Successful School Relationships. Gardner-Webb University Graduate Summit: Boiling Springs, NC.
- VanValkenburgh, J. (2020). Middle school parent involvement: Perceptions in two South Carolina districts (Doctoral dissertation). Retrieved from Gardner-Webb University Electronic Dissertations and Theses. (http://ezproxy.gardner-webb.edu/login?url=https://www-proquest-com.ezproxy.gardner-webb.edu/docview/2410183924?accountid=11041)